Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Fault In Our Stars By John Green


Fact: John Green is awesome.
Also a fact: This book is amazeballs.
May or may not be a fact: I totally cried my eyes out multiple times while reading this.






John Green has really done it this time. Honestly, it takes a lot to get me emotional, but this book was too much for my tear ducts. The intensely real emotion contained in The Fault In Our Stars definitely gets me every time I read it, and I certainly hope that Green keeps pooping out novels as good as this one. The Fault In Our Stars is about 16 year old Hazel Grace Lancaster, (the narrator) who is suffering from stage IV (insert type of cancer here)cancer. The story follows Hazel's experience with one Augustus Waters as he livens up her world over the course of a few months, and the constant battle that Hazel is fighting with her cancer.

I honestly have no idea how Green managed to make Hazel's thoughts and actions seem so authentic, but here's a big round of applause for that accomplishment. Seeing as I’m a huge fan of happy endings (aren't we all?) before I had actually read the book, I was rather hesitant to read something that I had already known would be a little depressing. At first glance, one might think that the whole book would be one massive pity-party with a little romance to liven it up, but that couldn't be further from the truth Green's latest work is humorous, and comedic; things that you wouldn't exactly expect out of a novel about stage IV cancer. As a whole, it wasn't even close to being as depressing as I had thought it would be, yet it still made me cry like a baby. The book was so great because it maintained an equal balance of humour and sadness, and was about as realistic as it gets as far as fiction is concerned.

There really isn't much else that I can say about this book that isn't extreme praise, so let's just get down to the point: The Fault In Our Stars gets a 5 out of 5 from me, because frankly, it doesn't get any better.


-Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment